MW Ghost Panzers - Armoured Pz.Gren. list

bakosbence137

MW Ghost Panzers - Armoured Pz.Gren. list

Post by bakosbence137 »

In this post I would like to share a list that has been put together from the modells I bought for the sake of painting-fun, even had an ,,Unternehmen Zitadelle" diorama in mind, and they turned out to be a good start for a mid-war force.
Please, share your opinion about it! Is it trash, or just makes my gaming moments harder?
As it turned out for me, no one brings a Panzergrenadier list to the table without Marders... Well, I got some Tigers as a present from one of my friends, so ,,cook from what you got!"
(new player here!)

ARMOURED PANZERGRENADIER COMPANY - from the book ,,Ghost Panzers"

COMBAT UNITS
Armoured Panzergrenadier Company HQ (3 Pts)
2x MP40 SMG team
1x Sd Kfz 251 C (MG) Half-track

Armoured Panzergrenadier Platoon (13 Pts)
7x MG34 team
(small base team wit Panzercnacker)
1x Sd Kfz 251 C (3.7cm) Half-track
3x Sd Kfz 251 C (MG) Half-track

Armoured Panzergrenadier Platoon (9 Pts)
5x MG34 team
(small base team wit Panzercnacker)
1x Sd Kfz 251 C (3.7cm) Half-track
2x Sd Kfz 251 C (MG) Half-track

Armoured 7.5cm Gun Platoon (10 Pts)
4x Sd Kfz 251 C/9 (7.5cm)

Armoured 8cm Mortar Section (6 Pts)
4x Sd Kfz 251 C/2 (8cm)

SUPPORT UNITS
Heavy Tank Platoon (58 Pts)
2 x Tiger I

COMMAND CARD: Heavy Tank Platoon (0 Pts) + some card worth 1 point (,,Cut Them Down", etc.)

TOTAL: 100 points

DJTommyC

Re: MW Ghost Panzers - Armoured Pz.Gren. list

Post by DJTommyC »

I'd recommend "Pure Luck" for your 1 point card. Being able to reroll a high stakes die is invaluable when running Tigers.

bakosbence137

Post by bakosbence137 »

Thank you for the feedback, now that I see it, that card really seems like a good pick. :)

ultracommander

Post by ultracommander »

I think that you will struggle with the unit of 2 Tigers. That is over half of your total points and there are plenty of things out there that can take them out.

Marders, M-10's, 17pdrs, 88's, Lancias, SU-85s will all cause you a problem. You are really in trouble if you happen to run into a Ferdinand......

With a unit of 2, there is a chance that you will get one killed/bailed and then the other one will run away.

To make it more competitive, you would be better to drop one of them and use the points to fill out your second infantry platoon and add some recon and either Marders or Wespes

bakosbence137

Post by bakosbence137 »

Thank you for your feedback, it helps me a lot to consider things otherwise as before, also gets me to some questions. :)
(Note: I can not stress this enough, I trust in the experience of the members of this community, and don't want to be a ,,smart-ass" without actually playing against decent players. :D )
So I hope you can help me with these things I'm wondering about right now:

1. If the unit is at the brink of collapse, and the take a motivation check, does the remaining team (let's say, the Tiger) need to take the motivation check at the begining of every turn? They have the Last Stand special rule ,,Tiger Ace", which gives them 83% chance (2+) of pass.

2. This is where your experience matters: so I thought, that a Tiger was kind of a big deal in mid war, throws a great punch and can take many as well, but 250.000 Reichsmark are 250.000 Reichsmark, even in points. Having two of them seemed like a good idea, as they usually operated in pairs, and can devastate enemy armour ... at least that was my expectations. Do they get picked out usually early in the game? Do some lightweight, self propelled arty and AT throw the same or even biger punch? I just don't have the gaming experience to properly judge it.

3. I also really like the idea of this modified list with Wespes and recon, more stuff to paint...but which scout troop should I take then? The 8-wheelers (SdKfz 231) or the cars (SdKfz 221 & 222)? I assume, the ,,safer, the more teams in the unit" idea also applies here.

I did not really pick up the game for it's competitive nature, but everyone seems to have a lot of fun on tournaments, so why should I miss out on that?
And yes, I know, ,,it's only a game, y u hav 2 B mad?!" :D and ,,Take what you want in your list kiddo, it does'nt matter, your cash on it" but I'm curious.

Just Some Dude

Post by Just Some Dude »

bakosbence137 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 pm
Thank you for your feedback, it helps me a lot to consider things otherwise as before, also gets me to some questions. :)
(Note: I can not stress this enough, I trust in the experience of the members of this community, and don't want to be a ,,smart-ass" without actually playing against decent players. :D )
So I hope you can help me with these things I'm wondering about right now:

1. If the unit is at the brink of collapse, and the take a motivation check, does the remaining team (let's say, the Tiger) need to take the motivation check at the begining of every turn? They have the Last Stand special rule ,,Tiger Ace", which gives them 83% chance (2+) of pass.

2. This is where your experience matters: so I thought, that a Tiger was kind of a big deal in mid war, throws a great punch and can take many as well, but 250.000 Reichsmark are 250.000 Reichsmark, even in points. Having two of them seemed like a good idea, as they usually operated in pairs, and can devastate enemy armour ... at least that was my expectations. Do they get picked out usually early in the game? Do some lightweight, self propelled arty and AT throw the same or even biger punch? I just don't have the gaming experience to properly judge it.

3. I also really like the idea of this modified list with Wespes and recon, more stuff to paint...but which scout troop should I take then? The 8-wheelers (SdKfz 231) or the cars (SdKfz 221 & 222)? I assume, the ,,safer, the more teams in the unit" idea also applies here.

I did not really pick up the game for it's competitive nature, but everyone seems to have a lot of fun on tournaments, so why should I miss out on that?
And yes, I know, ,,it's only a game, y u hav 2 B mad?!" :D and ,,Take what you want in your list kiddo, it does'nt matter, your cash on it" but I'm curious.
1) Yes if the unit is no longer in "Good Spirits" it must make a Last Stand Check every turn. By taking just a Single Tiger 1E you eliminate this while freeing up a chunk of points to support your overall force. Either you are destroyed or Bailed Out, if you pass your Remount, then you are in Good Spirits and no longer need to make a roll.

2) When the V4 MW was first released the Tiger 1E was in a much better place, now however, there are more tools available to your potential opponents to threaten, if not outright eliminate your Tigers. So you have to ask yourself. Do you enjoy them more than the risk of losing so many points in a single unit? Or risk having so many points in reserve waiting on a die roll to bring them on? (This is a good use of the Lucky Command card fyi).

3) There are pros and cons to each of the two Recce units you mention. Personally I'd buy and paint up both and be flexible, figure out which unit you like more. But if you have to pick just one, overall I'd take the Sd Kfz 221 & 222 Unit first.

So if you realize the risks of running your list with 2 Tigers and the weakness it presents in your force and are both prepared to accept this and enjoy them more than this risk, go for it. You might even find yourself in a game or two, where once you are able to deploy both Tigers, that you have broken the morale of your opponent.

There is a time and a place for nearly any type of list and some of my greatest joy has been in taking an inherently weaker list against someone and winning in spite of this. For example, all of those tournaments I was in playing my V2/V3 British Heavy Armoured Squadron with Grants and running into list after list of EF Grenadiers with 2 Tiger's and a looted KV1, talk about dirty pool.

bakosbence137

Post by bakosbence137 »

Thank you, guys! It is really helpfull! Also it puts things in the real, gaming perspective, it gets me to brake away from historical prejudice, how things work on the tabletop.

Mittens_the_Great

Post by Mittens_the_Great »

Tigers are awesome looking tanks that are a lot of fun to field. I say, run them! Even if two tigers are not as strong as our imagination might make them out to be, I think 'Tiger Fear' is a real thing even now on the table top, and they still look great and do pretty well.

Usually, there is no prize other than the fun you have playing. The best tuned list there is does not play as well as the one you have fun playing. I think your list looks great, and I suggest bringing the big cats.

Return to “Flames of War List Discussions”