Soviet MW de-escalation list

Heinz Bar

Soviet MW de-escalation list

Post by Heinz Bar »

Have a Mid War de-escalation tournament coming up. Don't have a lot of experience with MW so looking for list tweaking advice. 95-85-79 pts respectively. Can't change support options, just reduce them. Attached is the 95 list.
Attachments
NASCHCON 95.pdf
(92.36 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Disgruntled

Re: Soviet MW de-escalation list

Post by Disgruntled »

Full disclosure I'm planning on attending this event. I'll also be bringing Soviets (su76/ba10 formations) so we probably won't get to play as they want to do red/blue. If you want I'll post up my list Saturday once I finalize it. (make sure you get yours in on time)

I don't know how set you are with you above list or how limited in model selection.

With no changes
95 -> 85 pts
I'd drop the 3rd hmr (7pts) and the dhsk aa (3)

for the 85 -> 79
In addition to the above, I'd go with either

drop the zis3 and lucky
or
some combo of lucky, the 2hmgs, and 1-2 stuarts

Things to consider for MW.
1)How will I deal with a tiger/ferdinand/KV1/Churchills?
Soviets struggle here. Sturmoviks are the unreliable cheap answer here. Su85s are too much. Molotov cocktails are another option though can be useless. A lot of the time the answer is to ignore them and win on the other side or break the enemy company.

2)How will I deal with light / medium armor / armored car spam?
You need rate of fire. I think your fine against the car spam. I'm not sure on the light /medium spam. It depends on reserves of course.

3)How will I deal with infantry?
you should be fine here.

4) Whats the plan for reserves? (38, 34, and 32)
the t34s almost have to be in reserve. Is the 2 zis 3 unit your ambush? Is it the stuarts? planes on / off?

I think you have a solid base. I've done well in big events with a similar list with a bit different armor support. The only unit I just consider bad is the dshk aa unit. I'm not seeing what it brings to the table. I'm also not a fan of 2 strong gun units as you only have to kill the one. The formation is definitely strong enough you can drop some units without having to worry about breaking.

You are relying a lot on 3 t-34 and 2 zis 3 to provide the majority of the your anti-tank firepower. I'm not sure that will be enough, though the Sturmoviks and Stuarts can help with the lighter stuff. Personally I'd drop the dhsk and take 5 long lees or 3 kv1 instead of the 3 t34.

Speaking of the ptrd I'd personally take 2 instead of taking 1 hmg and 1 ptrd in your hmr. That's personal preference though.

Places I see you could make points:
3rd infantry as hero smg.
dshk aa
dropping attachments to the hmr units
dropping zis3
dropping stuarts

See you in a few weeks,
-Erin M-P

LLpolishplayer

Post by LLpolishplayer »

Hey there,

So I actually had a lot of (nerdy/accounting) fun with this. I took your list and applied a bit of a narrative theme while taking into account the criticism.

First off I dropped the Planes and AA tracks as I agreed they made things clunky and the planes are just (sadly) not worth their points in mid war: 50% chance to bring them on and a 33% chance to bomb something wasn’t great odds.

I ran with your idea of making them all guards units so that’s where 9 points ended up.
I dropped the T34s as I believed you have a lot anti inf, as the T34 is just a high armoured hmg with that overworked gun IMO, and took two SU-85s. A small elite little cat killer unit!
Then I dropped the 76mms from the main arm of the force and took them a 4x Artillery Gun Team Unit! It’s only three points more but they have the same stat profile but now have artillery capability. Anyways here’s the 95 list.
Attachments
Desc 95.pdf
(91.14 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

LLpolishplayer

Post by LLpolishplayer »

So for the 85 point list I dropped the Hero Company without the PTRD team as it’s worth 10 points with the command card, simple.

And the for 79 point list I dropped the BAs and 2x Stuarts.

Best of luck!

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

How did the list do at NASHCON?
Playing Flames of War (main focus) and its variants, Bolt Action, Test of Honor, SW Legion, SW Armada, and now....Cruel Seas

Return to “Flames of War List Discussions”