Bagration List (V2) w/Waffen SS Support

Skyorca

Bagration List (V2) w/Waffen SS Support

Post by Skyorca »

Hello again. - I feel I post too much, but I really do appreciate the feedback of this community :)

I've edited my list and decided to take Waffen SS Support (Mostly units I had from my previous list). I have 12 points left and I am not sure what I want to spend them on. Was thinking either beef up my formation with some more 7.5cm half-tracks and some flamethrowers, or a supporting Hetzer Platoon (3 tanks). I did read on the LFTF PDF that I could take command cards for units as long as it comes from the book that unit belongs to, hence me taking SS 88s w/8.8cm assault flak and pakfront cards instead of just taking pakfront and bagration support (Saves me points).

Thoughts?

Bagration German
(40% Reserves In Bold)

Panzergrenadier Company

Panzergrenadier Company HQ:
2x MP40 SMG team w/Panzerfaust
4(2)pts

Panzergrenadier Platoon:
7x MG42 team w/Panzerfaust
1x Panzerschreck anti-tank
13(11)pts

Panzergrenadier Platoon:
7x MG42 team w/Panzerfaust
1x Panzerschreck anti-tank
13(11)pts

Panzer IV/70 Tank Platoon:
4x Panzer IV/70 (7.5cm)
36pts

Armoured 7.5cm Gun Platoon:
4x Sd Kfz 251 (7.5cm)
6pts

“20th Panzer Division: NCO Shortage” (-2pts per Panzergrenadier Unit, -6pts total)

-----
Formation Sub Total: 60pts

Support (Waffen SS):

SD KFZ 250 SS Scout Troop:
2x Sd Kfz 250/9 (2cm)
1x Sd Kfz 250 (MG)
2pts

Puma SS Scout Troop:
2x Puma (5cm)
4pts

Wespe SS Artillery Battery:
3x Wespe (10.5cm)
7pts

Panzer III OP SS Observation Post:
1x Panzer III OP (MG)
1pt

8.8cm Heavy AA Platoon:
4x 8.8cm AA gun (12pts)
“Pakfront” (6pts)
“8.8cm Assault Flak” (-4)
14pts
-----
Support Sub Total: 28pts

(Note: I am aware taking Panzer 4/70s and the Puma Platoon in reserve is an odd combo, but I had trouble figuring out what to take for that last 4 pts of reserves, and I didn't want to take 3 Panzer 4/70s and a platoon of 3 SS Jagdpanzer 4s (14pts) for fear of them dying off too quickly.)

Straight Leg

Re: Bagration List (V2) w/Waffen SS Support

Post by Straight Leg »

Well, you've got the 88's, and you got the Arty. 12 points?

Why not go crazy with 6x Kfz 251 Flame-tracks in core formation? It's 12 points.

They can make a great Reserve to bolster against assaulting infantry when you're on defense.

They are dangerous when supporting an assault.

They draw fire if you want them to and still have tracks left after the smoke clears.

They can make infantry wanna go a different way, maybe taking a longer way to an objective.

They change people's minds.

They can be fantastic.

OR,

Live a little and go 6x Armored 7.5's, plus throw in some MG teams in nests. 3+6+2=11.

Plus Lucky.

I'm just throwing ideas around like they are grenades.

Skyorca

Post by Skyorca »

I love both of these, but the idea of flamethrower half-tracks running rampage on the board sounds like good use of 12 points. I'll probably try out both to see what works best, but the flamethrowers I think are the winners here.

Thank you for the input!

1stBn

Post by 1stBn »

Have you considered having the 250 h/t formation? It is 7 points, and you already have 3 points of the formation in support?

Skyorca

Post by Skyorca »

1stBn wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:05 am
Have you considered having the 250 h/t formation? It is 7 points, and you already have 3 points of the formation in support?
I have, as that is what I made for my original Waffen SS List. However, since German Bagration offers the ability to take Panzer 4/70s in formation I wanted to have that capability.

Also the 20th NCO card only applies to Panzer Grenadier platoons, and that saves me 6pts as is. If I were to take the 250 half tracks in a Recon Formation I would be paying those 6pts upfront before adding on anything else. If I wanted to I could add a recon platoon to my existing formation to have some of those half tracks, but I think the points could be spent elsewhere (Still something in formation though).

I've been testing the Armoured Panzergrenadier Platoon with my half tracks in mid war. So far they have been great cannon fodder and the amount of MG shots you get helps with assaults, but I have had trouble keeping them in command when going through rough terrain. Once the infantry were dismounted, its a cluster on the table and harder to manage.

I'm still fairly new to flames of war, and while I can generally list build all day long with great success, what happens on the table is a totally different story!

Return to “Flames of War List Discussions”