German Builds for League Play

NDNG_Iron_Tom

German Builds for League Play

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

My LGS is starting a Bolt Action League. We will start off at 250 points and add 250pts every two weeks culminating in a 1000 Point Tournament.

As a start I have three 10 man squads of the Warlord plastic infantry and a SdKfz 251 Half Track. Where do I go from here?
Playing Flames of War (main focus) and its variants, Bolt Action, Test of Honor, SW Legion, SW Armada, and now....Cruel Seas

NDNG_Troy

Re: German Builds for League Play

Post by NDNG_Troy »

Add a PzIII?

(says a total rookie at the game)
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

At the first 250pt level, a Tank might be hard to squeeze in. I also want to prioritize painting up the figures I do have before I start to expand. I'm also just using the German list from the core rulebook right now.

So I think my starting off 250pt list might end up looking like this:

60pts - Regular 2nd Lieutenant & Assistant (2 x SMGs)
50pts - Regular Sniper & Assistant (Sniper Rifle)
70pts - Regular Squad (SMG, 5 x Rifles, LMG)
70pts - Regular Squad (SMG, 5 x Rifles, LMG)

When we go up to 500, my SdKfz-251 and another infantry squad will be added. After 500, I think I'll be looking to add in a Panzer.
Playing Flames of War (main focus) and its variants, Bolt Action, Test of Honor, SW Legion, SW Armada, and now....Cruel Seas

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

So I think I have my initial building plan figured out. I have 30 Warlord German Infantry figures on the Sprues and will build the, like this:

Officer: LT w/ SMG, 2 SMG (70pts @ Regular)
Squad 1: NCO w/SMG, 8 Riflemen, and one MG42 LMG (123 pts @ Regular)
Squad 2: NCO w/SMG, 8 Riflemen, and one MG42 LMG (123 pts @ Regular)
Sniper Team: Sniper and Rifle assistant (50pts @ Regular)
2 extra MG42 LMGs to replace a rifleman in squads (+40 pts @ Regular)
1 Forward Observer probabally with a SMG (100pts @ Regular)
4 extra riflemen w/ Panzefaust to replace rifleman in squads (+20pts at Regular)
SdKfz 251 w/ extra rear MMG (77pts @ regular)

That will use all of my current plastics and cover me for upto 603pts at Regular (and even more at vereran).

I also have the "Holywood" Tiger from the Kelly's Heroes set. That would add 395pts at Regular). So that would be good to get me to 1000pts where I think we will end the leauge at.

At some point I'd like to add a HMG and Medium Mortar to my collection, but I really don't like mixing metal and plastic figures. I know Rubicon is now doing some guns and crews in plastic, so hopefully they will expand into the smaller crew served weapons as Warlord seems to want to just do these in metal. I have no idea why Warlord wont do a sprue for each nation with crew and weapons that could be built as a MMG, MHG, and Medium Mortar.

I have had Bolt Action for years and have played a good amount of it, but always with borrowed miniatures. So this is my first attempt at doing my own thing in the game.

So how is this for an initial entry into Bolt Action as a German player?

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

Well got in my first two league games.

My force at 250pts was:

2nd Lieutenant w/ SMG - 50 pts
Assault Squad NCO w/ SMG, SMG, and 4 x Rifles - 66 pts
Support Squad NCO w/SMG, LMG, 4 x Rifles - 84 pts
Sniper, Sniper Observer - 50 pts

All regulars
Attachments
My Force
My Force
IMG_4744.JPG (160.07 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Support Squad - take up a great position
Support Squad - take up a great position
IMG_4750.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Game 2 vs. USMC
Game 2 vs. USMC
IMG_4759.JPG (142.21 KiB) Viewed 4722 times

TXWargamer

Post by TXWargamer »

Nice! Thanks for adding pictures. I would add an HMG and a Mortar before the 251.
Let us know how it goes.

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

That sounds like good advice, but I am adverse to buying metal miniatures. I wish Warlords of somebody had some conversion sprues to make crew served weapons. I'm considering a Rubicon plastic gun kit for one of the LW dual purpose German guns. Rubicon also makes a BMW w/Sidecar and MG34/42 that I'm considering,

I found a MG42 on tripod listed under Shapways. I might order that and convert some kneeling Warlord plastic Germans into a crew to make a MMG/HMG. I just like a force to be all of one material or another.

Return to “Bolt Action Lists & Forces”