IS-2 in BA

Gunnr

IS-2 in BA

Post by Gunnr »

Hey there,
Thinking of getting into BA a bit and wondering how the IS-2 fairs? We are thinking of 1250 or so points, and I like all the Soviet infantry options, especially the ability to select veteran troops but wondering if one of my favorite tanks can handle the small unit actions. I'm no expert on the rules, but see something about not being able to activate an IS-2 first in a turn - is that crippling?

NDNG_Troy

Re: IS-2 in BA

Post by NDNG_Troy »

Depends on the scenario.

I had a M-8 out looking for Soviet tanks, and we were in the reverse dice off. Who would expose themselves first. There was a lot of Ambush dice being laid as we both expected first shot to end that engagement (well, he did. I needed the IS to move so I could use the longer move the M8 to get a side shot.

I finally got other assets down enough he had to move the IS or fire it at something approaching from the other direction. M8 scooted out, laid a shot into its side. Jammed its turret. He repaid my patience with a deadly shot that turned the Greyhound into a smoldering wreck via an AT gun after I gambled and used my first order die to fire again (plink, glancing blow - pins only). Oh well...

Don't base your entire force on one asset. Back it up with other stuff.

And, you get to paint an IS-2! That's still worth doing.
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

The IS-2 is a whole lot of points to tie up even at 1250. I sometimes have to remind myself that BA is a game about killing Infantry when I am making up my lists, and decide if an individual unit/tank is worth it's point in that regard.

NDNG_Troy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

The flip side is that their Tank Wars is a fun little game in its own right.

It should NOT be compared to combined arms games in smaller scales though. It's a tank skirmish game. I've found it more fun when using an urban or city environment.
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Return to “Bolt Action Lists & Forces”