BA Lists for Normandy

NDNG_Troy

BA Lists for Normandy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

In case you haven't heard (from almost every company that produces WWII table-top games), this June will mark the 75th Anniversary of the Allies landing in Normandy to begin the liberation of Europe from the Nazis.

The gents (and ladies) at Warlord are gearing up for their own Overlord release and campaign this summer. They're publishing stories for their blog looking at one-box armies. Here in SoCal (Southern California) some of my gaming friends are running a monthly game day where we game multi-player games in the days immediately following D-Day. Once we get our hands on the book, we'll dive into the campaign Warlord is running.

I've been bringing generic US lists with regular troops and either an M8 armored car, or some light howitzer and MG Jeeps. Now, I'm wondering what I'd bring if I went with German forces?

The current piece on Warlord's blog highlights the Waffen-SS box and creates a list as such:
Veteran 1st Lieutenant w/ Pistol (103pts)

1x extra man with Assault Rifle
Arming your officer with the iconic broom handle Mauser pistol, and his attendant with a cutting-edge StG-44 will give you some additional firepower and allow him to keep pace with your crack infantry squads as they storm forward!

Waffen-SS Squad 1 (Late War) (105pts)
3x riflemen
2x MG42 LMGs

Waffen-SS Squad 2 (Late War) (105pts)
3x riflemen
2x MG42 LMGs

Waffen-SS Squad 3 (Late War) (107pts)
1x Assault Rifle
4x SMGs
Fanatics
2x Panzerfausts

Waffen-SS Squad 4 (Late War) (107pts)
1x Assault Rifle
4x SMGs
Fanatics
2x Panzerfausts
Of course, in our monthly game, we don't want to limit ourselves to just the box, as the theme of the article does.

What would YOU add to the list, or change to make it good at 1,000 pts for the Normandy landscape? In our club, we've tended toward tables with bocage, shallow line of sight due to terrain, and curvy roads. Is the MMG team better value than the Halftracks with MMGs due to terrain? Is it worth investing in a big kitty (Panter or even a PzIV) with the limited LOS?
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

NDNG_Iron_Tom

Re: BA Lists for Normandy

Post by NDNG_Iron_Tom »

Its exciting to see the D-Day focus. I think you may have meant "Warlord" vice "Battlefront" in paragraph two. Though the later is certainly having some nice releases also.

The list above looks fun. Two fire support squads and two assault squads. The Mauser Broomhandle has a lot of "cool factor" but I'm not sure it saw a lot of WW2 German use. I know the Chinese were still using used the heck out of them tough.
Playing Flames of War (main focus) and its variants, Bolt Action, Test of Honor, SW Legion, SW Armada, and now....Cruel Seas

NDNG_Troy

Re: BA Lists for Normandy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

NDNG_Iron_Tom wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 pm
Its exciting to see the D-Day focus. I think you may have meant "Warlord" vice "Battlefront" in paragraph two. Though the later is certainly having some nice releases also.

The list above looks fun. Two fire support squads and two assault squads. The Mauser Broomhandle has a lot of "cool factor" but I'm not sure it saw a lot of WW2 German use. I know the Chinese were still using used the heck out of them tough.
Fixed, thanks. We cover BF so heavily here it's tough to get the names straight. My brain only has so much room, and all of the 1970s song lyrics occupy the majority of my brain cells ;)
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Return to “Bolt Action Lists & Forces”