FJ support weapon - mortar or multi purpose gun

Helmsmen

FJ support weapon - mortar or multi purpose gun

Post by Helmsmen »

Needless to say FJ armies has a ton of toys to support their activities. Which brings me to my second question - thanks again for your support RE the PZIII. If you could only have one arty piece for your FJ army, which piece do you go with and why? On the surface it seems like the obvious candidates might be the LG40 vs a medium mortar but maybe something else has caught your fancy... :D

NDNG_Troy

Re: FJ support weapon - mortar or multi purpose gun

Post by NDNG_Troy »

For indirect fire:

If available, Nebs.

Right now multi-launchers are either awesome and ruin your opponent's day (gotta roll 6s, tho) or totally worthless beyond making them spread waaaaaay out.

Since multi-launchers spread out 6" from the template, and have the potential to hit other units, it makes your opponent think about how they deploy or move.

Downside: You have to range in on sixes to range in. Normal artillery (indirect fire) is a scale down 6, 5+, 4+ etc until you hit. MLs stay at 6. They're not very accurate and don't get spotters.

For AT and Indirect:
Medium Howitzer unless you know there's a good potential of facing heavy tanks.

Dual-purpose if possible.

Some say to go heavy and maximize template. BA is an infantry game after all. The more figures under the template, the better.

I still like the ability to have firing over sights as well as indirect. Many tanks have such with their AT guns. Why not return the love to them with a nice AT round over sights?
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Umm as AT guns can have reasonably large HE templates in V2 I tend to go with a SH AT gun which has the effect of a medium howitzer (3") and 2D6 against buildings.
With the FJ I would go 88mm flak 36 or Pak 40

NDNG_Troy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

For my Germans I just painted up the 88... want to see how it does on the tabletop now, or is it an instant mortar target, charged my infantry to keep it tied up?
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Well yes all guns are mortar targets but at least with the 88 you have 7 crew so should last a bit longer - unless they drop smoke on it ......

Return to “Bolt Action Lists & Forces”