AFV abs 1250 point US Army for BarrageCon

Helmsmen

AFV abs 1250 point US Army for BarrageCon

Post by Helmsmen »

Good evening gents,

As I’ve mentioned in my previous posts I’m very new to BA and am looking for some list building advise from the pros...

Question, assuming you’re only going to buy one AFV with part of your 1250 points for the upcoming BA tourney, which of these three, which I own, do you bring and why: Sherman 75 or 76, Jackson and/or a Chaffee?

NDNG_Troy

Re: AFV abs 1250 point US Army for BarrageCon

Post by NDNG_Troy »

I haven't played with the jackson at all. I like my Chaffee. 200 pts for a Veteran Light tank (with soft and squishy sides, unfortunately) - but with Recce and a gyro (vet only).

But, a Sherman is a Sherman. Why not have a heavy AT gun (76mm ver) and some MGs? But, it's almost 100 pts more than the Chaffee.
Play what you find fun... anything else is a waste of sixes
I currently play: Bolt Action, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas
occasionally Blood and Plunder, Armada, and whatever strikes my fancy

Helmsmen

Post by Helmsmen »

Thanks again for the insight Troy. I personally like the Chaffee as well - seems like a cost effective option. That said, the guys at the LGS are giving some love to the Jackson for the AT value - so long as you don’t mind playing cat and mouse...

NDNG_Troy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

Treat the Chaffee like an armoured car, even if it's in a tank slot.

Played a Western Desert gamin against a friend who brought two early war AFVs, a Crusader and an armoured car... both at once were enough to worry the schnitzel out of my Pz III

Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I use the M5 Stuart as Veteran. Stabilizer and you get reinforced front armor 9+ on shots from the front. All for 196 points. Chaffee would be my second choice but that vulnerable thing really worries me.

Coyotesax

Post by Coyotesax »

Chargers rule.
W HMG and Vet. You can pop out and shoot people w no penalty and dodge when shot at. Basically a cheaper and yet just as effective Sherman. Unless you plan to get into the thick of things. It is far better on the periphery pinning the crap out of things.
Last edited by Coyotesax on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coyotesax

Post by Coyotesax »

Chaffees rule.
W HMG and Vet. You can pop out and shoot people w no penalty and dodge when shot at. Basically a cheaper and yet just as effective Sherman. Unless you plan to get into the thick of things. It is far better on the periphery pinning the crap out of things.

LawnDart

Post by LawnDart »

How many order dice and/or infantry squads do you have? I'd much rather have five squads of infantry and a smaller tank in a tournament - especially if there will be missions that involve holding objectives.

Helmsmen

Post by Helmsmen »

Because of some time limitations I had I was only able to play a game and a half. Since this was more of a learnament than anything else the dozen or so players and the TO didn’t mind... I ran a 1LT, four infantry squads, medic, zook, HMG, HMG in Jeep, Jeep transport, air observer, and middle mortar.

In the first round I played a clone on my own list (but it British with a Churchill) - NDNG’s own Mitch was my opponent. We played on a city board that favored infantry with a no mans land in the middle. Neither one of us entered it - with the exception of a sliver that ran along one flank where two infantry squads from each of our ranks smacked one another around fir several rounds without a result. That said, I immobilized his Churchill with a lucky shot from the Chaffee but he eventually returned the favor by knocking out the Chaffee - which I hindsight I should have move ( I mean his tank was immobilized). My air beat up on several of his units pretty good and he knocked out a Jeep but in the end it was a draw.

In the second game I played a Hermann with a sniper and a PzIV with Tiger fear. Learned to hate both in that game. We played king of the hill. In the first two rounds his sniper proceeded to knockout both the air observer and then the mortar observer - that tool certainly payed for itself. Then he called arty on my clumped up infantry and Chaffee in the corner and laid down an easy half dozen pins that stymied that sector. In the other he brought the PzIV which did nothing other than prevent virtually everyone from activating. By turn three I had to leave but things weren’t heading down a very good path for the Mericans.

Either way I had tons of fun, learned much, and am better prepared for the BarrageCon tourney in Sept. to that point folks... how would you tweak this list based on my limited experience above and yours in the field?

Thanks

NDNG_Troy

Post by NDNG_Troy »

Rule #1 of competitive play

Beat Mitch!

;)

Return to “Bolt Action Lists & Forces”