Basing ideas

zeromoon17

Basing ideas

Post by zeromoon17 »

How are you guys basing your Star Wars Legion Mini's? This is the first time I've done a scale larger than 15mm since I was a teenager, so I'm used to having a lot more real estate on my bases to do interesting things.

Right now I was thinking of doing this:

1) Cover base in plaster for texture
2) Add in small pumice for larger texture
3) Prime the plaster/pumice mix
4) Paint/Shade the texture in various browns to give depth
5) Add flock using watered down PVC Glue

Have any of you used the textured paints that Vallejo sells? Those seem interesting, but I've never seen them at my LGS on the shelf for purchase.

webgriffin

Re: Basing ideas

Post by webgriffin »

I would not use plaster. It will crack / fleck off / break and leave you with white...

Go with the colored basing materials. You can get these from anywhere and the Vallejo Earth Texture / Brown Earth Gel is a good choice. You see this stuff on a lot of the painting videos.

Weland

Post by Weland »

I have used a number of methods on Legion

1. Gravel (fine) painted black and dry brushed brown to create an alien fertile world
2. GW Agrellian Earth for the cracked surface look. Works well for desert and frigid
3. Plasticraft textured sheets. I use a scrap book punch that is the perfect size to cut out discs. This gives a starship or space station feel for the miniature.

stepka

Post by stepka »

Lovely ideas, I just found a tub of mixed grit to glue to my bases before I put paint on... I think that's the easiest way to go but I'm going Endor themed so lots of shrubbery on top of the dry-brushed grit.

Underground Warren

Post by Underground Warren »

The desert basing kit from GF9 is perfect for Tattoine.

Return to “Legion”